As 2018 draws to a close, Something New has a lot to celebrate!
• Since Nuevo Camino started in January, we’ve met and supported 12 mothers and 34 kids from a battered women’s center in Cusco, Peru. Each family has moved into new apartments, found jobs, received free legal services, and discovered newfound hope for the future.
• Over 250 college students traveled to Atlanta for service learning trips with New Alternative, where they volunteered with local Clarkston schools, learned about challenges facing refugees in America, and experienced New Way training together.
• We hosted Park Days all over the world – from our latino neighbors in Fayetteville, GA, to the refugee community in Clarkston, GA, to women and children in Cusco, Peru.
• Our volunteers served with Atlanta community-based organizations such as the Amani Women’s Center, the Clarkston Community Center Food Bank. and the annual Clarkston Culture Fest.
• 40 students from Fayette County high schools received leadership trainings and mentorships with our New Way team.
• 140 college students, professors, and high schoolers participated in New Way training and began to learn that we are truly more alike than different.
• Women from across the U.S. connected through Women’s Network Calls.
• Our medical team volunteers led school assemblies in rural schools in the Andes mountain region of Peru to teach hand hygiene, tooth brushing, and nutrition. They also provided basic primary care and foot care for town residents.
• 190 new people donated to Something New this year.
• Pinewood Realty Group hosted a holiday party that raised over $5,000 to send the Nuevo Camino kids to school next year.
We can only imagine what 2019 will bring!