Contributed by Jill Johnson, Board Member & Community Volunteer
As a long time board member and volunteer, I have seen this organization consistently evolve. When we were first founded back in 2005 we just knew we wanted to help people. Period. No strings attached. It has taken 10 years to get to where we are now – three robust youth programs thriving in several cities, touching thousands of young lives and still growing!
We recently renamed, rebranded and refreshed our organization. The new names allowed us to tie together our programs for a more streamlined brand. Something New is now comprised of three stellar youth programs: New Expression youth arts, New Way conflict reconciliation training, and New Alternative service learning trips. The recent name change from Freedom Foundation to Something New tells the story of some things that needed to change and others that never will.
What will never change about our organization?
- We will always function as a family and strive to provide family for those who need it or want a bigger one.
- We will always love and embrace people of all colors, shapes, genders, orientations, religions, etc.
- We will always seek to help the voiceless speak up
- We will always believe that humans should live for a cause greater than themselves
- We will always believe that the young people are the key to change
What will always change?
- Our programs will always evolve to better meet the needs of the communities we serve
- We will always be looking for new populations to serve
- We will introduce new programs when our volunteers or participants are inspired! For example…
Our programs have always been set apart by the way people feel when they participate – they feel accepted, cared for, they feel loved, they HAVE FUN, they learn and are challenged. That will never change. But we are embracing all the ways we can continue to flex to meet the serious challenges our world, and especially our youth are facing.
Enjoy the new website, and be sure to find us on social media, (links below!), and contact us if you have questions or seek more info.
We are so ready for Something New. Are you?