The people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do. —Steve Jobs New Alternative celebrates the “crazy” in each one who chooses to spend their time learning about social justice issues and serving a community that is not their home. We love alternative breaks and partnering with colleges, universities and other groups who choose to spend their time this way. Over the past eight years, we’ve hosted thousands of college students from over 75 universities in Selma, AL and Clarkston, GA. If you are looking for a fresh take on service-learning, we are happy you found our website! New Alternative is more than a service-learning trip. It is an intensive week-long leadership training that uses the principles of nonviolence to empower students to be change agents and community builders wherever they go. Our trips incorporate education, service opportunities and a lot of fun -- making for an experience that challenges and changes each participant. If you want to learn more, contact us! New Alternative trips are designed with your group’s interests in mind. While no two trips are exactly alike, we focus on five common elements to create a meaningful experience:
- Participate in our intensive New Way training.
- Partner with local organizations for service projects.
- Learn about Atlanta’s roots in the struggle for equal rights by visiting local museums such as the King Center and Center for Civil and Human Rights.
- Debrief your daily experiences--we provide trip leaders with the level of support that’s right for their group, from full facilitation by an experienced group host to a set of tried-and-true guiding questions to a “hands-off” approach.
- Have fun and meet other like-minded individuals through nighttime activities--trivia, karaoke, and more!